Building our your “business and finance” centric data and analytical skills requires practice. Challenge is, there are not many data sets available to practice with that focus on the financial and strategy side of business. We are solving that problem for you.
Here is a great, real world type dataset we created to help you practice your “business and finance” centric data and analytical skills. We leveraged components of the outstanding Tableau Super Store data to create this robust training resource.
This information is extremely similar to the types of content we have leveraged over the years to help companies develop and execute on strategies and make significant sums of money.
You will not need any advanced tools to extract valuable insights. When my team and I attack data like this we use good old Excel, SQL, and Tableau. The dataset is only ~160k rows, so it can be easily handled in Excel.
There will also be issues in the data. We did that because real world data is never clean and perfect, so might as well train like that.
* Look for revenue and profit improvement trends across product lines, regions, channels, and customers.
* I would strongly suggest looking at the pricing, profit, and freight trends in great detail. There are piles of virtual money laying all around this sample data set, but some introduce significant risk if you go after them. It is like a profit scavenger hunt. Can you find them?
* Think long and hard about what a business leader would want to know if this was their data. Prepare an executive summary of your findings AND recommendations.
* Your suggestions don’t have to be “right”. The important part is that you put forth the effort to formulate strategic thoughts using insights derived from the data.
Some additional revenue and profit specific questions:
* What product mix is most profitable nationally and regionally?
* What customers/manufactures are driving the business in either direction (Revenue/Profitability)
* Which trends do you see across different product segments and are there any opportunities regionally/nationally?
* Are there any opportunities around discounting with specific customers/manufacturers or regions to improve profits?
* Is there a trend with shipping that affects the revenue/profits?
We hope you find value in practicing with this dataset. If you find it valuable please point others to this page. Have fun!